Skip to content ↓
St Michael's Middle School
Trust Logo

St Michael's Middle School

Frequently Asked Questions

St Michael’s Middle School Special Educational Needs Information Report 

How does the school know if my child needs extra help? 

The students are assessed in core subjects every half term and results are recorded in the school’s database. Students’ progress is tracked by subject teachers and is overseen by the Senior Leadership Team.

Parents’/carers’ views are sought at Parent Consultation meetings.

Regular subject and Year team meetings are held where any causes for concern are raised and passed to the Special educational Needs Co-ordinator or the Leader for Pupil Well-being.

Who should I speak to about SEN support for my son or daughter? 

In the first instance it is always best to approach your child’s Tutor with any SEN concerns. The Tutor will then discuss these concerns with the Special Educational Needs and disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo). However, you can always make an appointment with the SENDCo directly through the school office if you feel that your concerns are not being addressed sufficiently.

If the school has concerns about your child’s individual needs, the Tutor will arrange a meeting with you to discuss these concerns at the earliest available opportunity. If necessary a further meeting will be arranged which may include the SENDCo, the Leader for Pupil Well-being and/or a professional from an external agency.

  • The SENDCo for our school is Kelly Ramsey
  • The Leader for Pupil well-being is Nick Taylor
  • The Headteacher, Mr Darren Ayling, is the Leader for Inclusion
  • The governor who oversees Inclusion is Mr John Spatchet

What support can the school provide if my son or daughter has additional needs? 

  • High quality differentiated teaching within all classes
  • Smaller groups with a higher adult: student ratio for students with very low numeracy or literacy levels
  • Specialist teaching for students with specific literacy difficulties
  • Speech and Language support from Teaching Assistants
  • Support for Physiotherapy programmes
  • Teaching Assistant support and a daily lunchtime supervised classroom
  • Intervention groups including support for developing fine and gross motor skills, support for language development and support for developing social skills
  • 1:1 tuition for students at risk of not making expected progress in Maths and English
  • A school emotional well-being support service
  • Allocated staff trained to meet medical needs
  • Close links with professionals from external agencies including an Educational Psychologist, Behaviour Support Service, Speech and Language Therapists, Children’s Therapy Service, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, the Community Paediatrician, Hearing and Vision Support Service, Social Services, Locality and Family Support Teams.

How is extra support allocated to students with special education needs? 

Students are continually monitored and their progress is carefully tracked and reviewed using the school’s tracking system. Support is allocated based on advice from external agencies in consultation with parents/carers, Tutors, the SENDCo and the Leader for Student Well-being.

Inclusion on the school’s Special Needs Register and the school’s Provision Map ensures that all staff are aware of the students’ special educational needs and how these needs are being met.

 Who are the people who provide services in school for students with special education needs?

Directly funded by the school

  • Special Educational Needs  and disability Co-ordinator
  • Leader for Pupil Well-being
  • Specialist Teacher for students with specific literacy difficulties
  • Pastoral Support Worker
  • Higher Level Teaching Assistant
  • Trained Teaching Assistants

Paid for by Local Authority but delivered in school

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Advisory teachers and technical support from the Hearing and Vision Support Service
  • Mobility Officer

Provided and paid for by Health Service but usually delivered in school

  • School Nurse
  • Support from Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • Children’s Therapy Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy

What support is available to the parents of students with special educational needs?

The school has close links with several services that support parents/carers:

  • Locality Workers (offer family support and parenting advice)
  • Dorset Family Information Service (offer information and guidance to help children, young people and their families)
  • Dorset Parent Partnership Service (offers independent information and supports the parents/carers of children andyoung people with special educational needs)
  • Dorset Parent Carer Council (run by parents of children with disabilities for other parents)

Is the school accessible to students who have additional needs? 

St Michael’s Middle School adheres to an Equality Plan.
Each student’s needs will be individually assessed and catered for appropriately wherever possible.  The school strives to ensure that all children, regardless of their additional needs, can achieve their best in all aspects of school life. The school accommodates students with hearing and sight impairments, students with physical disabilities and students with medical needs.

How does the school support students with transition to another class, school or setting? 

  • Transition meetings between Tutors are held during the summer term in preparation for students moving to their new classes
  • The SENDCo and the Leader for Pupil Well-Being at St Michael’s liaise closely with staff at feeder schools and at Upper schools to ensure the smooth transition of students with SEN
  • Additional visits and pastoral support sessions are offered to vulnerable students who are moving to Upper school
  • Paperwork relating to SEN which is held in school by the SENDCo is passed to the SENDCo of the receiving school

Bespoke transition support packages are designed for students with complex needs.